Scott Dorsey

Don Snodgrass wrote:

Relatively narrow radio transmission bandwidth severely challenges my
ability to replicate the kind of results most of you are accustomed to.
That's because Amateur Radio transmitters are typically restricted to a
narrow bandwidth of 100 Hz to 3000 Hz when transmitting single sideband
(SSB) information.

So skip the SSB stuff and all the associated group delay that comes along
with all those phasing networks, and join the crowd on 40M AM. No kids,
no lids, no space cadets. Plate modulation preferred although you won't
get derided too strongly for screen grid modulation.

What I try to do is to make the most effective use of studio mics, preamps,
EQs and other processing equipment. However, not being a professional
audio engineer, I often feel frustrated with my efforts to find the right
equipment settings. I end up resorting to a trial and error approach
testing the results of settings with other Amateur Radio operators over the
air. I've also have tried to use audio analysis software such as
SpectraPLUS with equally frustrating outcomes.

Record yourself, and listen to it. Since the whole SSB airchain is going
to have outrageous group delay, what sounds clean going into the
transmitter may not be at all optimal for what comes out. You might consider
recording your voice to tape, running into a dummy load, and adjusting the
processing as you listen to your voice on tape through a receiver. That way
you get a chance to hear what is going on through the whole chain.

Any comments/advice/recommendations would be appreciated. Please visit
the above link and let me know what you think of my equipment settings.
Perhaps you have some other settings that you feel might yield better
results. Input from those using the Behringer DEQ2496 for processing male
vocals would be especially welcome.

How can anyone tell anything by looking at your settings? All anyone can
really tell is how your audio sounds by listening.