Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mort Mort is offline

Default Problem With Audio SD Card; Need Advice Please

Dick Pierce wrote:
Mort wrote:
Hi,

I recorded a piano recital, with permission, and ran into a problem
that I never had before. The music is on an SD card, WAV, 16 bit, 44.1
khz = CD book specs, and it plays back directly in my Windows PC. The
card is a SanDisk 8 GB. regular card, a type that I never had trouble
with in over 200 recordings.

However, none of the tracks will copy to my "music" file on my hard
drive, not in 3 different computers. Each track copies about half way,
and then hangs up.

Is there any way, either by myself or through a music tech person,
that I could get this recital burned to a CD-R?

How long is the recording? If the WAV file is larger than 2 GB,
there are a number of "music" programs that have a bug in them
that will prevent them from opening or otherwise managing a WAV
file.

The bug exists because the WAV spec defines the maximum chunk
size as a 32-bit UNsigned integer (which means it can be up
to 4 gB), but an awful lot of programs use SIGNED 32-bit integers,
which allow only 2 GB maximum.

THis may or may not be your issue: but if the file is VERY large,
it could be this is your problem.

Hi Dick,

The program is about 82 minutes (at CD book specs), and after
correcting, I needed to burn to 2 CD-Rs as it just did not fit onto one.
However, I have recorded many concerts that ran longer than this, with
no problems. The only other factor is that this was my first recording
with an 8 GB SDHC card. I previously used cards up to 4 GB, but now the
8 GB costs less than the 4 GB. In my recordings, I can get 3 hours of
music on a 2GB card, so I did not exceed that 2 GB threshold.

I am hoping that I just had one single bad SD card, but time will tell.

Thank you for your interesting post.

Mort