Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default USB Midi vs audio interface MIDI

wrote:
I have a Yamaha keyboard that I connect to the computer
using a USB cable. I appears as its own MIDI device.
I could also connect it via MIDI if I desired, going
into the audio interface that I record with.

Is there any reason to prefer one method over the other?
Are the clocks that control the audio and the MIDI tied
together in some way, or is it just the same as using the
MIDI device through the USB cable?

It's just bits. In the end, the MIDI buss is really just a fancy serial port.

However, you can use the MIDI buss to control a number of instruments with
one cable, which is frequently of benefit.