Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Oh man I'm borred.......

Altho I'm kinda curious about those L7 square kicker subs, I
knew a guy with a single 10 in the hatch of his camaro, that sounded
better than any 10 I ever heard. I'd prolly go so far as to say better
than any 2x10 setup I ever heard. Even if it lost a little spl over
my 2x12's, if it went lower I might be interested, but it's not really
worth the $$ for me to try it and find out..

I have always been impressed with Kicker's Sqaure subs, in particular the L7
series. When they first came out I TRULY thought it was a gimmick to draw
attention OR a way for SPL competitors to squeeze more cone area into a
givem size baffle (obviously, square subs would fit together better that
round subs leaving less unused baffle area).

HOWEVER, I remember exactly where I was (you know, one of those seminal
moments where you always remember where you are and what you were doing) the
first time I heard one, I was at Car Audio City on Aurora Ave. in Seattle (I
think I have the name right) in 1999 or 2000. They had a single L7 12" in a
ported box and I was absolutely spellbound by the incredible amount of bass
this thing could produce, it was like a pair of 15"'s (in fact, I remember
asking the staff if there was another subwoofer or multiple subs also
playing, the answer was obviously no)!!!! I probably stayed there for
several hours just listening to this incredible subwoofer, trying to wrap my
head around the fact that so much bass was coming out of a single 12". Like
you said, everytime I've heard ONE, it's like hearing TWO. Naturally I
wanted one, but the price was high and realisticaly I could achhieve the
same level of bass at a lower cost with two or more lesser subs as opposed
to a single L7. Of course the ultimate in my mind was a pair of 12" L7's,
the problem with that, however, is that I certainly did not have the power
to drive them adequately, which would require more than a powerful amp, but
a complete upgarade of my electrical system starting with a large HO
alternator. Too much money. But for someone who does not want to use too
much space for a sub box like in a very small car, they cannot be beat.

Anyway, those are incredible subs. I don't know if all the marketing BS
about the square shape is what makes them so incredible, but they certainly
deliver the goods, BIG TIME.

MOSFET