Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

Default Windows alternative for Apple MainStage?

just bob wrote:
Just saw the demo video for MainStage and was impressed (do you call
this a DAW with softsynth?). If I read correctly, for $500 I get
Logic Studio and MainStage is included. That is a bit outside my
budget and even if it was within the budget I have no Mac.

So is there a Windows alternative for around the same price range? I
looked at the ProTools website but it seemed I couldn't get anything
like this for under $1000.

So, youīre actually looking for software, which hosts soft synths, so you
can softsynths live via MIDI?
If yes, there are quite a few options for Windows. Either get soft synths
that work in "stand-alone" mode or some host software which lets you load
VST and/or DX plug-ins. If this host software includes a sequencer or not,
does not matter in this case... Whatīs important, is the ability to monitor
soft synths or fx "live".

some - there are more, than I know probably - programs for Win a

VST hosts without sequencer:
-VSTack (by Steinberg) / commercial
- VSThost / free
http://hermannseib.com/vsthost.htm

or some sequencers, which can act as a host:
- Cubase (SE and LE versions too)
- Sonar (Homestudio)
- Samplitude / Magix "Music Studio"or whatever their small version is
called. Not to be confused to their "Music Maker", which only contains loops
to "build" songs.

Another choice might be "Reaper", but I donīt have any real-world experience
with it. Just downloaded the latest trial version and found it quite nice -
especially for the low price.
Anyway, all sequencer programs are commercial, i. e. you have to buy a
license to use it. Since the small versions will probably be sufficient for
your needs, you might get along paying 80-200 $ instead of 500 $ for
MainStage. On the other hand, MainStage might contain some instruments (from
Logic), which are not included with the Windows alternatives mentioned
above... but at least the commercial sequencers come with some instruments.

Technically, itīs possible to do the same things, that MainStage does, with
Windows-based software. Just not as conviently looking maybe...

A nice VST and stand-alone soft synth is available from Native Instruments.
Their "KORE player" comes bundled with 1 "soundpack" and thereīs another
"compilation soundpack" for free. Besides that, you can of course buy
additional "soundpacks". ;-)
http://native-instruments.com/index....koreplayer&L=1
http://native-instruments.com/index....2e8a0ef9a739b0

This will at least be sufficient for trying out and playing around for fun.

Phil