Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

wrote:
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. It's just a crummy old mic. It's
beautiful though so I took it today to music repair man to see about
updating the internal mic parts. I know it will no longer be a
vintage mic, but a decent mic in that chrome frame is all i really
want anyway, and I don't really intend to resell it.

It won't be.

You can put an SM-57 capsule behind that grille, and what you will get
won't have anything to do with the SM-57 pattern. The grille is going
to screw up any element you put behind it.

There is a reason modern microphones don't look like that, and it's not
just style.