Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

Peter Larsen wrote:
wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for mic help!
I just bought a vintage Shure 55c high impedance microphone, a new
vintage style 7' cable (3-pin amphenol to 1/4"), and a 1/4" to XLR
transformer from radio shack. I have connected it to several
different sound boards but struggle to get good sound quality.
Everything sounds muffled, like the bass is missing perhaps.

Muffled is usually used for missing treble, sharp for missing bass.

High impedance .... high impedance ... high impedance ..... there
could be a message here.

Is it broken? Is it just old? Could I be wiring it wrong?

You need a suitable transformer or to try it in an instrument input.
Sennheiser made some cable trannies for this once upon a time ....
there are probably inline transformers that fit into an XLR barrel on
the market nowadays.

Note the wording "suitable transformer".

Adam

Kind regards

Peter Larsen