Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Keep the Mac or eBay it?

On 04/06/2020 15:53, Tobiah wrote:
Why do you feel the need change change your computer (a downgrade in
this particular model instance) that may render your current software
unusable, or at least complicated to get it to work.

Mostly because it's a Unix system. I'm a programmer
by trade, and I spend a lot of time on the command
line. I dual boot Linux and live there for anything
except music. I banged my heart at Linux audio for
enough years. I spent all my time configuring and
none creating. Also my favorite interface is not
yet supported.

Apple software is based on a *nix kernel. That's about as close as it
gets to being a *nix system, as the UI and other stuff is pure Apple.
The hardware is now mostly Intel based, so you can, in theory, use any
x86 compatible operating system.

Now, I also wanted a seamless audio production
experience. I'll take into account some of the comments
that have been made here.

In my friends' experience, Macs are great as long as you want to things
their way, and a nightmare if you don't. This even applies to their
phones, which, for example, use a photo file format that nobody else can
read.

The Walled Garden approach makes them reliable within their limits,
which are precisely defined. Outside that garden you are on your own...

If what you want is a seamless production environment, take the hit to
your wallet and get Protools. It "just works", and projects can be
worked on in just about any studio or mastering suite that uses it.

Alternatively, many people use the Adobe suite, where the audio and
video tools work very well together. It is now "Software As A Service",
though, so unless you keep subscribing, it stops working.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.