Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic
don hindenach[_2_] don hindenach[_2_] is offline

Default New Basic Version of Red-Eye - the Dee-Eye

On 26 Dec 2011 19:56:17 GMT
Steve Hawkins wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote in
k:

Steve Hawkins wrote:

Larry Pattis wrote in
news:261220110820512060% lid:

hank alrich wrote:

Their
mission is to convert an unbalanced signal from a passive piezo
pickup into a balanced mic feed.

So, is there any use for this box with an internally pre-amped UST?

It sounds like a high quality, active DI, like the Countryman and
Radial offerings. It really isn't a preamp, IMHO. If they ever
decide to take that next step, I'd be interested.

Steve, bear with me, I'd like to understand what problem it is that it
doesn't solve since it does the job of interfacing a high impedance
source, be it inductive (magnetic) or a piezo, to a standard impedance
balanced mic or line input.

A good DI should be transparent, neither adding nor subtracting from the
instrument's sound. It's purpose is to also allow Hi-z instruments and
equipment to use long cable runs (100's of feet).

This is exactly what the Red-Eye products actually do

We also find that the mix guys tend to leave our signal flat at the board and be happy about it.

And the Twin allows us to match gain for a couple instruments, as you mention you need.

Somehow, the seeming need to change 'colour' appears to melt in the mist once a Red-Eye is inserted in the signal chain - ya just want to play the insrument!

So have one of us send you one to try, k?

--
donh
donh at audiosys dot com