Posted to rec.audio.pro
Harry Putnam Harry Putnam is offline

Default A little help with adaptors and naming.

Mike Rivers writes:

[...]

The reason why you're having difficulty finding that cable is because
nobody else wants on. Are you sure this is what you really need? Out
of curiosity, what's your application? What most people need is to
split the left and right channels of a stereo output into two separate
cables so they can connect one powered speaker or amplifier to the
left channel of the source and the other to the right channel. If you
were asking for the 1/4" ends to be jacks (female) rather than plugs,
that would be practical for splitting a single 1/8" output to two
standard sets of headphones. But when it comes to speakers, when you
have two leads splitting out from the source, you usually want one
channel on each cable.

Ok folks, looks like Mike R, Tobiah, Gareth and probably several more
responders have busted me being an idiot.

Its just like several of you have said.

My initial thought was just sheer idiocy. I can only attempt to save
a little face by saying that I did catch it before all these
bull... hehe)

All I really needed I had laying right here, (a straight up splitter
from 3.5mm plug to 2 1/4 (male) TR) and hadn't even tried it. Once
I'd noticed the ends were TR not TRS I just new it wouldn't do.

Not sure what had seeped into my pea brain to make me think BOTH
speakers would need duplicate STEREO signals.

Finally just plugged in the adapter I had all along and of course it
was just what the doctor ordered.

So thanks to all, and again the newsgroup has saved me a few bucks of
useless expenditure.