Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default The audio geek

In article , Scott
wrote:

On Thursday, July 25, 2013 1:50:31 PM UTC-7, John Stone wrote:
On 7/25/13 2:32 PM, in article ,

"Audio_Empire" wrote:

Audio, as a hobby, is in decline because young people's tastes have

changed and therefore no new blood is coming into the hobby. Youngsters,

today don't actually care about listening to music any more. Nor do they

care about the quality of reproduction in the music that they DO hear.

Music has become, to a large extent, a commodity among the young. The

idea of sitting down and actually listening to music for the SOUND of

music has become passé.

AND.....

There IS a resurgence in vinyl. One would have to be really out of the

loop to not have noticed it. There are more 'tables, arms and cartridges

on the market today than at any time since the advent of the CD (~1983).

And the people in this business MUST be selling this equipment to

SOMEONE.

Ok, how do you square these two statements of yours? You have to care
enough

about listening to music to go through all the trouble of doing it with

vinyl, right? Or are these new turntable buyers just "hipsters" that own

these things because they're "cool", but use them when they want to show
off

to their hipster friends? Or maybe a bunch of us old farts are out buying

their last turntables that they can bury with us? Whatever, it doesn't
seem

to bode well for the market over the long term.

That is easy to square up. The audiophile community as a whole is eroding but
within that community there has been substantial support and growth of high
end vinyl playback. Hipsters are buying the cheap new turntables but
obviously audiophiles are the ones buying the megabuck gear that is still
being produced and still being bought. Actually when one looks at the vast
array of high end audio gear being made these days it's kinda hard to believe
the market is really all that bad.

If we weren't constantly being told that the market is dying, I would
say that you certainly can't tell by looking at it... I've been
attending the Bay Area Hi-Fi Show (next one is Aug 9) and seems to me
that attendance is bigger every year. Again, the patient looks pretty
healthy to me, but the doctor says he's terminal. Who am I to argue?

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---