rdamor

Default Best Stereo Receiver $250-300??

Hi SM;

I wouldn't recommend any of the Marantz SR-series. Those came after the
good stuff. About 1980 all of Marantz went to Japan. All the new
Japanese designs were based on consumer-level marketing. The Marantz
models that were designed in USA and built in Japan in the late '70s and
early '80s was fine, but after that all of their production went
"offshore," just like it did here. From Japan it went to So. Korea (not
too bad), to Taiwan (not as good), and then way downhill to Malaysia and
now mainland China.

Stick to the Marantz models that are listed on the Web site I gave,
above. You won't find any SR-models there.

Cheers,

Tyco_brahe

Schizoid Man wrote:
"Jose Luiz" wrote in message

"Schizoid Man" wrote in message

"Jose Luiz" wrote...

Hey, I'm looking for a stereo receiver to replace my 5-year old Sony
STR-DE525. I'm looking primarily in the $250-300 price range but

something

bit higher or a bit lower in price is acceptable. I would prefer to

buy

another Sony brand since my Playstation 2, CD changer, and portable
mini-disc player I presume would be more compatible with a Sony

receiver

but

I'm looking at other brands as well. I only have two speakers and use

my

stereo system primarily for music, so I'm looking for something with
excellent sound and can carry a nice-sounding bass at high volumes

rather

than a reciever specifically geared for a home theatre setup, though I

would

like nice sound reproduction for my TV and Playstation 2 as well. The

thing

I hated about my Sony STR-DE515 is that playing a song with a strong

bass

at

high levels always shut the receiver down and gave this 'Protector'

warning

so I'm looking for something that can take stronger bass and louder

volumes.

Would this be found in a higher wattage stereo receiver? Any

reccomendations

for a stereo receiver around this price range (or even a lower price

range)

would be much appreciated!!

Jose

Check out two Marantz models - SR4120 and SR4300. They are both in your
price range. In fact, you can purchase a refurbed SR4120 at
http://www.accessories4less.com for $220. I've never heard the 4300 but

do

own a 4120. It's fairly neutral sounding and pumps 60wpc.

Make sure you do a power matching with the loudspeakers that you are
planning to use.

I own a pair of cerwin vega E-312 (or E-315 - I don't remember which ones
they are off-hand) speakers. According to Cerwin Vega's website the power
handling is 300 watts for the E-312 and 400 watts for the E-315. So I

think

I may need a more powerful receiver than the ones you mention below...

Jose

Yep, if you are talking rms rating. A lot more powerful. In fact at such
high ratings, I would recommend using different power and preamp stages.