Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Spilberg Mark Spilberg is offline

Default Audible Difference Between Monitors

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 11:54:58 AM UTC-5, Mark Spilberg wrote:
On Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 11:26:37 PM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article ,
James Price wrote:
In your experience, how common is it for monitors with the same tolerances and a similar frequency response to sound perceptibly different?

Very common.
The on-axis frequency response is a nice enough thing but doesn't tell you
very much about how a speaker performs in a given room, because many
listeners are off-axis and much of the lower frequencies are coming to you
by room reflections even if you are on-axis.

And -nobody- ever plots speaker distortion in a useful way.

In my opinion Stereophile magazine publishes excellent measurement, on almost everything they review. For speakers, am a fan of the frequency response charts, on axis and off, cumulative spectral-decay plot, Amplitude vs Frequency charts, with different colors, for each driver, to point obvious crossover points, on the internal crossover, etc... Interesting to compare specs, and reviewers opinion, usually there is an obvious correlation, and others there are personal biases to consider.

I prefer the Absolute sound, and Stereophile from the late 70s early 80s, at that time both magazines had better reviewers in my opinion.

Stereophile uses: DRA Labs' MLSSA system and a calibrated DPA 4006 microphone

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...Qk5LwuPMmFb.99

I agree with Scott's description, of Speaker room integration, response patterns of speakers, and how they effect the resulting perceived balance.