Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

Default NFB windings, was there a US style and UK style?

On 05/22/11 04:40, flipper so wittily quipped:
On Sun, 22 May 2011 03:49:29 -0700, Big Bad Bob
wrote:

On 05/21/11 22:03, flipper so wittily quipped:
I'm not really a 'fan' of the paraphase but the battery filament tubes
I was using in Batman didn't leave much choice. The pentode-triode
(and diode I'm not using) share the same filament in the 1D8GT and
that ruled out anything under the 'cathodes'.

ugh, yeah probably no choice. even a long tail wouldn't work well
unless you can somehow CCS both the filament AND Ik at the same time
[unlikely]. So definitely limited in what's possible.

Filament IS Ik. And when more than one tube in the bottle it's the
combined Ik from all of them. No kind of 'tail' will work.

yeah, ok. technically Ik would be the sum of Ip + Ig (the latter
irrelevant for triodes) but ok. Filament current is really a different
path and that's what I meant. So in your case "Ik" = Ip + filament
current (whatever Ix that would be). That's just a distraction, anyway.
However, if you _did_ have a way of isolating the actual cathode
EMISSION current from the filament current you might be able to get it
to work. /me can't think of any way to do that, though.

I could have used single triodes but it still isn't so easy to power
the filaments since they're the 'cathode' and would be floating on the
'tail'. Gets to be a real mess.

and that's the point.