Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default In Mobile Age, Sound Quality Steps Back

On Wed, 12 May 2010 06:28:35 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Jenn" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

I recently participated in blind listening tests comparing a $12,000
speaker
system from a well-known designer with excellent technical chops to a
European-designed, China-built studio monitor system that sells for under
$400 the pair. They did sound a little different from each other. The
listening panel was about evenly split as to which they preferred based
on
dynamic range, tone quality and imaging. They all agreed that both pairs
of
speakers sounded very, very good.

So, what were the speakers?

Behringer B2031A

I have a pair of those connected to my computer. I use them as "near-field"
monitors when I'm using my computer as a DAW. They're pretty good and well
made, (I'm actually a big Behringer fan and have lots of their gear. They
generally represent good value and performance for money spent)), but the
B2031As are similar to a lot of near-field monitors in that price-range. For
instance, they have little in the way of bass below about 60 Hz. I will say
that they are better than ANY "audiophile" speakers of that size at up to
three times the price. But a pair of Magnepan's new 1.7s will blow em out of
the water at $2000, as will M-L's little Source ES hybrid at the same price.
I do agree that they are a great buy at less than $500/pair street price.

I have to ask, what $12000 speaker system did you compare them to that people
were "split" in their opinion? I want to be able to warn people off of a
speaker THAT expensive and THAT mediocre.