Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maxhifi maxhifi is offline

Default New Production Tube Suggestions?

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 22:48:26 GMT, "maxhifi" wrote:

Are NOS 6V6GT really expensive now????

The going rate at most US dealers is around USD60 per matched pair of high
quality tested/matched 6V6GTs. Some versions can be much more expensive.

For NOS I say avoid the old ones
with the grey or black coating inside the glass

Why?

The older 6V6's have slightly lower maximum anode power dissapation rating,
and they will arc over at a lower maximum voltage. Not a lethal difference,
but Sylvania 6V6GTA seem to last forever in a circuit designed for normal
6V6GT.

$60 a pair seems out of touch with their value - last time I bought one they
were $5 each in the early 90s.

I have an old pair of Electrohome amplifiers which likely operate the 6V6's
under similar conditions to the Magnavox shown here, and I've used USSR
6V6GT relabeled as Amperex and Philips in them for a while, with good
results. These should be available cheaply somewhere.