Joe Duffy

Default Audio amplifier design trivial?

In article ,
Robert Morein wrote:

supplies, etc., one can throw at it, the better the result. The end game
example of this is that Australian amp (name, please?) that has far lower
levels of distortion than anything else.

Lower levels of distortion is not
the end game.
Stability into infinitely varying loads,
is.

Oddly, although amplifier design has become mature, it does not appear to me
that specification and testing has. The scientist in me says it all has to
reduce to numbers, yet it does not, which means that the numbers are
obtained by test procedures that fail to characterize amplifier behavior.

Someone ought to work on this.

Audio amplifier design is fascinating, and it's
what drew me to rao at first. Early discussions on
Class A vs A/AB design, and 300B tube designs
were a great education for me.

Of course, then, those with knowledge left, leaving
the wreckage you see.

It's great to see interest in improving audio
design.

Joe