Hev

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Hev wrote:

I guess I just had a bad experience. I interned at a studio that was
primarily analog (24 track 2 inch) and it was just a mess. Every 24 track
recorder had at least one track down at any given time (usually 2 or 3)

and
the engineers were constantly calibrating machines for different tape and
ordering expensive replacement parts. For a young guy like me it was mind
boggling to watch 'professionals' having to deal with such situations. It
seems like studios really do have to play off of an image to gain a
customers trust and confidence (a game of sorts), and this would probably
send a young band running for the closest Pro Tools rig in someones
basement. I guess I made my mind up about analog at that point.

Yup. I suggest interning at a studio with Pro Tools and seeing the same
sort of thing going on. Either you do proper preventative maintenance, or
you live with stuff falling apart all around you. There are a lot of

studios,
both digital and analogue, in that last category.

Good advice, I certainly would gain from that experience. All the experience
I have had with digital recording systems have been pretty stable once
operating systems have been 'tuned' for pro audio use. That is not to say
issues won't occur when adding new hardware or software.

So who are the players that have created custom operating systems for audio?
Is there a proprietory pro audio operating system? If there isn't there
should be...

On a totally different note: Rivers, you ******* for getting the cicadas
recorded!! I had actually placed an order for a Marantz PMD670 for that
purpose but the damn thing was backordered. Maybe it will available

before
17 years time. g

I'm still pulling dead ones out of my gutters. In the meantime, ask me
in 17 years and I'll loan you a Nagra. On the other hand, the Marantz may
still be working then... I kind of doubt my HHb Portadat will be but it'll
be interesting to see if there's any media at all for the thing in a

couple
years.

The last time the cicadas were around I was in elementary school and the
kids chased me around with them. Scarred for life! Even grasshoppers give me
the willies still.
Scott... I'm on the east coast in the DC area. I know they have cicadas
elsewhere in the country... what part of the country are you in to have the
privilege of dealing with the red eyed buggers?

--
-Hev
Find Me He