Eddie Runner

Default Subwoofer direction

OK, good enough... Yes your right, the sound eminating
from the woofer does radiate out omnidirectionally...

It is very common for folks to use the omnidirectional wording
to describe our inability to localize low frequencies...

Now that were straight and in agreement on that point....

You said before that since its omnidirectionional the placement
of the woofer box is not a factor....

this is what made me thin you meant localization!
For localization the placement of the wooferbox isnt important

BUT, for placement in the vehicle for the least cancelation
the omnidirectional output of the wooferbox is EXACTLY
one of the factors that causes the problems I describe in my
paper..!!

Notice in my CARTOON drawings, when the woofer plays
there is a sound that goes into the vehicle and also a sound that
goes to the back of the vehicle ! This demonstrates the omni
output of the box...

So,
its precisely this multidirection output that allows the bad
reflections to happen!

I hope this is understandable...

Tom there shinks it DOESNT HAPPEN...
But most of us here know he is wrong...

Eddie Runner

Eric Desrochers wrote:

Eddie Runner wrote:

The OMNI Directional you seem to be talking about is really
called LOCALIZATION...

No. The imprecision of the human ear to discern low frequency is well
known, but in this case I was really talking about a sub driver being
omni-directionnal. Quote from the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, by Vance
Dickason : "At frequencies where the wavelenght of sound is large
compared to the diameter of the cone, the radiation is spherical".