Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Zoom H6

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Gary Eickmeier wrote:

But let's set that aside for a moment, and ask you what you are monitoring
on? What is your ultimate system?

I've already discussed that.

I am monitoring on a pair of NHT A-20s, a pair of Magnepans, and a pair
of junk Atlas whizzer-cone boxes, for different things. LEDE
configuration.
Room is okay, it's not too live and it's very diffuse, but it could
probably
benefit from even more bass absorption.

I tend to like the Magnepans but as I said earlier, they do not translate
very well to other speaker systems and I tend to use them because I have
a personal desire for a more distant presentation than the customers
usually
do; I like to sit back in the balcony.

This is not by any means either a typical or a high-end control room for
classical work and I would not recommend it for someone learning to mix
and track. It is built to deal with some of my personal handicaps.

My ultimate system would have more to do with the room than the speakers,
but I'd pick something like the Masterdisc room with the Griffin monitors.
Francis Manzella design, very very clean room. Sight lines aren't very
good
but the sound is excellent, and these days video monitoring is making the
need for good sight lines into tracking space less important.
--scott

Thanks. I like the Maggies but caution you to not kill the backwave with
more absorption but rather use it for what it was designed for. If placed
properly and not killed, you get some delayed versions of the primary sound
behind and beside the actual speakers, which help flesh out (unmask) the
depth and spaciousness that is (hopefully) in your recordings. If placed
improperly, too close to any wall, those same reflections will destroy the
imaging in ways that I have described.

Gary Eickmeier