Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] mdargyle28@gmail.com is offline

Default variable speed playback on MP3 player-- what purpose??

On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 10:05:15 AM UTC-6, John Battersby wrote:
I just picked up a cheap AGPtEK mp3 player that, so far, I have been
quite impressed with considering the cheap price. Anyway, one of the
settings is variable speed playback. I set it below normal and when it
encountered an MP3 file, the song played slower in speed, but pitch
remained constant (this function didn't seem to work on anything other
than MP3 files (not FLAC, for example)). Anyway, I'm wondering what
purpose this has? In the studio, matching singer pitch maybe to a
track, but jogging or listening in the car, not sure why.

Thanks,
John

I use the variable speed settings for two purposes:

1) To study languages. It is very handy in that if the native speaker is speaking too fast I can slow it down to be able to hear the nuances of the pronunciation better. Later once I have the dialog down I can speed it back up to match the native speaker.

2) I use it while listening to audio books while traveling or exercising. If the book is dragging or the reader is very slow I can speed up the audio. Or if it is an information-dense book (lots of good ideas one right after the other) I can slow it down to better catch the ideas that the author is presenting...

I'm sure there are other uses but I use the feature for those two purposes all the time. Hope that helps
Mark