Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default variable speed playback on MP3 player-- what purpose??

In article ,
John Battersby wrote:
I just picked up a cheap AGPtEK mp3 player that, so far, I have been
quite impressed with considering the cheap price. Anyway, one of the
settings is variable speed playback. I set it below normal and when it
encountered an MP3 file, the song played slower in speed, but pitch
remained constant (this function didn't seem to work on anything other
than MP3 files (not FLAC, for example)). Anyway, I'm wondering what
purpose this has? In the studio, matching singer pitch maybe to a
track, but jogging or listening in the car, not sure why.

Taking dictation.
Reverse-engineering a tune or arrangement to learn to play it.
Skipping over the boring parts of lectures without totally losing track.
Dance practice.

These days, adding features like this is a matter of software, so it's
all up-front cost and doesn't actually add anything to the cost of
manufacture. So if you're making a million of something, it's to your
benefit to add as many features as possible in order to get every possible
buyer to purchase it. If you're making ten of something, it's to your
benefit to make exactly what the ten buyers want with nothing else.
This is a product made in the millions.