Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default Remixing Tip #2

JackA writes:

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 12:28:36 PM UTC-5, Frank Stearns wrote:
JackA writes:
=20
On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 11:36:32 AM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote=

:
On 16/02/2015 15:16, JackA wrote:

snips

I'll stick to what I'm doing since you mentioned nothing specific.

=20
Well, how about this... "Ticket to Ride" is passable EXCEPT everything be=

low, say,=20
200 hz. There's not necessarily too much or too little, it's just that wh=

at is=20
there is a mushy mess -- no bass line is distinct.

I mix music the way I remember it sounding. Actually, before, I didn't have=
enough high frequencies. I wanted it to emulate the sound of the lopsided =
stereo mix.
I don't think you questioned it, but I only have a so many tracks to mix st=
ereo, so Ringo's drums is to the right, vocals centered, bass center-left a=
nd guitar left. I really do not care how it was original mixed, if I did, y=
ou'd never hear the hand-clapping!! This is what people do not know about m=
ixing, why I question if they have even attempted it.

I do everything manually. I enjoy shaping sound.

But, anyway, I should at least thank you for the passing C grade!!

Actually, I'd give it an "incomplete".

If you're serious about this, you have to do more than just make it "sound pretty"
to you. That's often a component, yes, but you still have to be musically aware not
only of what might be "the issues" with a mix, but also what your mind might be
"glossing over" or "filling in" -- such as the problematic low end here. What it
sounded like before might or might not have any bearing.

You can get used to crud as is; you give it a pass in your mind's ear. You can
concentrate on one aspect to the detriment of others. In reality, there are problems
with this mix. Good monitoring, diversified monitoring (phones, different speakers
and environments), knowing something about music and arranging, stepping away for a
few days or weeks and coming back fresh -- along with plain old experience -- go a
long way in crossing the gulf between a bad mix and a good mix.

I'd suggest another try at it.

Frank
Mobile Audio