Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default In Mobile Age, Sound Quality Steps Back

"Audio Empire" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 May 2010 07:17:06 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

Good ones aren't. Good speakers, especially, are quite expensive. For
instance, there is little decent in the way of speakers below about the
$1K
level (actually I only know of one really decent speaker below $1K and
that's
the Magnepan MMG at $599.

I certainly hear artifacts in lossy compression, but I wouldn't exactly
characterize them as a crackling noise, I would say that it's more like
buzzing bee-like distortion that rides the waveform. It's only audible
during
low level passages and during transitions between loud and soft passages
(and
vice versa) and then only on headphones and very loud speaker listening.
As
background music and in the car, lossy compression artifacts are lost in
the
ambient noise.

I find it ironic that the entirety of the previous comments could be put
into a vastly different perspective if unbiased listening techniques were
used by the writer.

I don't need a DBT to tell me what I hear.

Nobody does. A DBT can't possibly tell you what you hear.

The alternative to bias-controlled listening is to *hear* with your
prejudices fully engaged.

If you want to listen to the true quality of sound, then you must take
advantage of bias controlled tests.

If you want to reinforce your prejudices, then avoid bias controlled tests.