Posted to rec.audio.tech
bob bob is offline

Default Is there a DVD player with USB input?

On Feb 1, 12:34 pm, wrote:
There should be a DVD player that has a USB computer input--preferably a
portable one. Is there?

The purpose would be to allow one to play CD/DVD/HD over an audio system.
e.g. I have an external hard drive loaded with 1000 hours of music in
compressed form. I plug it into a USB input on my computer and I can listen
to almost anything. Navigation is through the computer display. A portable
player has the advantage of a built-in display, which makes it unnecessary
to connect your audio system to a TV set in order to select the pieces to be
played. I've seen lots of portable DVD players at a reasonable price, but
I've never seen one that could be connected to an external hard drive.

In addition to a USB port, there are two other things you'd need that
are missing from the typical portable DVD player:

1) iTunes-like software to manage your music

2) a user interface to control the software

Throw those in, and the product you're describing already exists. It's
called a laptop computer.

bob