George Gleason

C.J.Patten wrote:
Howdy. Looking at MiniDisc and flash based recorders.

Do all MD recorders have mic-preamps on their audio inputs?

I realize some units don't have *any* kind of audio inputs so I'm limiting
this question to portable units that have inputs.

Any concerns I should have about the quality of different MD recorders for
mic recording? (specifically thinking of the analog section - I understand
the data is stored in the same format)

I was considering flash based recorders such as the Creative Nomad Jukebox 3
but all the ones I've looked at don't have mic-pre-amps ... and the idea of
buying another "gizmo" starts to increase the cost of these flash based
recorders beyond my means.

I've looked at the Neuros and Marantz units - waaaaay out of my league.

Thanks,
Chris

you want to be sure you can manually set record level
many consumer MD recorders use auto level setting which makes loud music
quiet and quiet music loud
it really kills the dynamics of the recording
George