philicorda

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:08:40 -0700, Marshall wrote:

I am having a very frustating time getting the volume we disire out of
my sound system w/o excessive feedback. I play in a bluegrass band (
www.whitepinehollow.com ) and attemtping to get a
clean, amplified acoustic sound working a single condenser mike. Our
system is: AKG C 3000 B mike, sometimes a AKG C 1000 on the acoustic
bass at very low gain, Mackie 1202 board, JBL EON G2 Powered speakers.
It seem like I'm in a tug - of - war between cutting gain (loosing the
mike power we need) and increasing volume. I've had tons of advise from
"ditch the powered speakers - they're for outdoors only", to "ditch the
condenser mikes, they'll only feed". I am tempted to try a feedback
eliminator but have been told they take out too much tone?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

I'm afraid the only way to get volume is a few more mics, and closer
micing. Perhaps pickups on some instruments, combined with mics on those
that really need mics.

A feedback eliminator will probably get it a bit louder, but if you are on
the edge already it wont do much good. They are great for when a mic is
hand held, and you never know where it's going to be pointed next (usually
straight into a monitor), but not so good when they are hunting all
the time. The more the feedback eliminator is working, the weirder it'l
sound.

A big multiband graphic eq across the mains may help out if you really
don't want to change how you are micing, you can pull down the feedback
frequencies quite a lot before the sound changes too much.

Else, you could put the speakers a long way away, perhaps even at the back
of the hall facing towards you. I've never tried that, but it might work
ok!

Thanks,
Marshall