Posted to rec.audio.tech
RDOGuy RDOGuy is offline

Default Do Old Bose 901 II's Need an Equalizer, Or Can't We just Turn Up Our Receiver's Bass and Treble

On May 24, 4:02 pm, "Geoff" wrote:

They really are not that great - the main strength of BOSE was/is their
marketing department, not their 'R+D' .

I worked in a stereo store for a brief period when the early 901s were
a current model, and I was always astounded that people preferred them
to much more accurate speakers. You would do an A/B comparison, and
people would love the "more spatial" sound of the 901s... when what
they were actually hearing was additional directional information from
all those drivers pointing all over the place. I have come to believe
that this was deliberate "marketing engineering" on Bose's part...
that they were specifically tailored to sound more "alive" in an A/B
comparison.

If I got a pair of 901s in good shape cheap, I'd sell them on eBay
(where they bring really good prices) in a heartbeat, and spend the
money on some really good speakers. But hey... if you like them,
that's OK. As I used to tell people back then, what really matters is
that *you* like them.