Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair
Derwin Derwin is offline

Default is it worth it to replace caps in old equalizer??

In article , says...

In article yl6Nh.5912$6z3.687@edtnps82, Derwin

wrote:

Hello, I have an old 70s-era 5-band equalizer made by Realistic (radio

shack),
which I like to use in my guitar effects chain, and I opened it up the other
day just to see what it looked like inside, and I noticed that there are two
large electrolytic capacitors. They look fine, and the unit sounds OK, but
given that it is probably at least 30 years old now, and may have sat around
for many years not being used before I got my hands on it, could I expect
improved performance if I were to replace those two big electrolytics with

new
ones?

Probably not, since all the electrolytic coupling caps in there are bad too.
And even if you do, you're stuck with 1970s Radio-Shack grade op-amp design.

Actually I opened it hoping I could replace an op amp but there are no ICs in
it at all. But I did eventually realize that the two big electrolytics are
probably part of the power supply.