Ty Ford

Default Mic Questions

In Article EFcvb.109$Yt4.31@lakeread05, "Steven Dillon"
wrote:
Hello,
First, I must say that this is my first post on this group. I have been
reading
your archives and sifting through searches for some help. It seems that
what I
am looking for is far too subjective for any one answer. Given that (and my
general lack of knowledge regarding microphones) I have decided to come
ask the experts for some opinions or maybe just some plain old guidance.

Steven,

Guitars that sound great in air often don't record well and vice versa.
ALthough your post is quite detailed. I doubt if anyone could really solve
your problem without knowing (hearing) what you're getting and dealing with
understanding what you think you want.

"Not big enough" can be interpreted in so many different ways that no single
solution exists.

What you're likely to get is a list of, "Here's what I do." which may or may
not solve your problem. Could be your guitar just doesn't record well. Could
be the mics in the wrong place, could be its the wrong mic in the wrong
place. Could be a combination of all or some of the previous. Could be your
expectations are impossible to meet.

So far, little has beat the sound I get from a Schoeps CMC641 on acoustic
guitar. I have a short sample of that in the audio archive on my site. I
also have an mp3 of a Gefell M296 omni that really impressed me. See if
that's what you like.

Regards,

Ty Ford

**Until the worm goes away, I have put "not" in front of my email address.
Please remove it if you want to email me directly.
For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford