Mike Rivers

Default Mic Questions

In article EFcvb.109$Yt4.31@lakeread05 writes:

Am I even pointing in the right direction here - that is, am I looking in
the
wrong place for a bigger sound? Is adding another mic to the mix (one
that will surely give more depth to my sound) the right way to approach
the problem or is this just a matter of getting the mix right?

Generally when people want a "bigger" sound, they want to hear
something on the recording that isn't there on the guitar. A mic won't
help. You need to start messing with signal processing tricks,
doubling and tripling your guitar parts, playing with short delays,
reverberation, comprssion of low level signals, and generally commit
all sorts of mayhem to get something that doesn't sound like your
guitar, but sounds like what you wished it would.

SM-81s aren't the most accurate mics in the world, but there's no
reason why you can't bugger up their sound to get where you want to
be.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )