Chris Hornbeck

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:39:47 -0500, Jon Yaeger
wrote:

I hooked it up to my McIntosh MR-67 tuner (recently aligned) and the sound was
a lot better than I expected.

An amp like this with 12AX7s, small output iron, and tone controls isn't
'supposed" to sound good, according to the dogma of the day.

Anyone else have experience . . . pro or con . . . with Sherwood gear?

Why should my, or anyone else's, experience, be more
important than yours? Is audio reproduction just a fashion
statement?

But back on track: you might enjoy trying a triode output
tube connection in your 5500; it's a simple rewire from pentode IIRC.

Just as an experiment. This makes an audible change in the
"sound" and generally innocuously and reversibly.

FWIW, 12AX7's are probably the most linear amplifying device
yet made, small output iron has advantages at lower signals
levels, and dogma is ..... what comes out of the back of dogs.

Good fortune and great fun with your new toy,

Chris Hornbeck
6x9=42