Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Here in Oz we HOT because of record hot weather never seen before.

There are piles of ppl who deny global warming is occuring despite the
CO2 from their cars, and from their wife's use of the stove, and their
son's hot-rod, and their daughter's 40 minute showers and their grand
parent's air conditioning etc, etc, etc.

I'll never convince any of them of anything.

But we've had record November temperatures and a very warm winter, and
the latest views from space about melting antarctic ice is a real
worry.
Sea level rise has not been enough yet to alarm anyone because when
floating ice melts there is little rise. But when ice on land masses
melts, then you have direct volume rise in sea levels, and that means
big trouble for coastal infrastructure.

Australia has maybe 40% of ppl who reckon we shouldn't do anything
about the problem because its all bull****, and we didn't cause the
problem, or if we did, we only caused 1% of the problem. Weel, they
are outnumbered by those who think we ought to lead the world even if
the US and China won't. Fence sitting won't fix the problem.

I'd love to see how cheerful Lord Valve becomes when he gets an
electricity bill in 5 years time that is 3 times higher than now, and
he has to pay 3 times for gas and food, and when he finds out the
pension has been attenuated 10dB, and health cost is still high
because Lord issa gettin old. But I am sure he's ready and willing
like millions of others that once they understand the problem, they'll
happily pay to fix it up. Not to mention the new tax to fund the war
in Afghanistan, and to fund weaning the returning soldiers off the
drugs they took while over in Ghan. America is the richest country on
Earth, and reputably the best country, and there ain't nothin' an
american can't do once he gets a move on it. Think of all the money
that was wasted on the Arms Race which could have been spent on
alternative energy research, and getting ppl off carbon, and being
nicer to little brown people in little $10 countries.

It sure is a queer world, now ain't it?

Patrick Turner