GregS

In article , wrote:
wrote:
: I have a room which I attempted to pre-wire for home theater. There is
: a regular speaker wire behind the wall which I intended to use for the
: subwoofer. Now that I have the equipment, I realize that the receiver
: has an RCA type subwoofer output only. Since I did not have the
: foresight to run a shielded cable behind the wall, I'm wondering what
: will happen if I just solder RCA connectors to each end of the speaker
: wire to make the subwoofer connection.

Are you sure the rca output is for directly driving a sub as opposed to
connecting to an amp/powered sub?

I think this is line level. Try the connection and find out. A balanced line
receiver may work or even better, using a balanced conversion on both
ends. If you use a small amp and as I suggested to another post, using a small
Radio Shack isolation transformer to feed the subwoofer RCA input, will also
work without producing any hum from stray fields or ground loops.

greg