Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Flippin Frappin Frips and Fraps

It's nice to get as dialed in as you can as the event it tracked, but I still love
the finesse of post get things just where they need to be.

Frank
Mobile Audio

--
.

Heres a method I've been using you might like.

3 cardiod mics mounted on one stand about 10 feet above the conductor and about 5 feet out into the audience.

Left mic aimed at the left edge of the band, right mic to the right and middle mic straight ahead.

The 3 mics feed a small mixer.
Left mic panned hard left, right mic, hard right.
Middle mic panned center.

Now you can adjust the level of the middle mic to fill in the hole as you like. My recorder is only 2 tracks so I have to make that mix adjustment decision during tracking, I find about -3 to -6 dB to be good.

If you have a multi-track recorder, you can of course record each mic separatly and make the mix decision in post.

Mark