Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default Flippin Frappin Frips and Fraps

"Gary Eickmeier" writes:

snips

I guess I will have to call it N.O.S. What I used was an existing bracket
that usually holds 3 or 4 mikes (all 90° from each other) and put two on it
at about 40 cm apart. I thought that the 90 degrees was the magic number for

It's related to the distance between the microphones. Not sure what would happen at
40 cm, especially being that far away.

good center fill with cardioids. So if I look down the barrel of each mike
it is pointing just outside the angle of the entire orchestra. I am
positioned at front row center, which is fairly distant from the orchestra,
I would guess around 60 ft. I just played it once so far, and it seems to
image fine, left, center and right fairly even all across, but with no
"pinpoint" imaging at that distance. But not for the audience either!

Imaging probably does break down at that distance, at least for microphones.

But human hearing in good condition should readily be able to identify positions
along even that narrow arc, even with a lot of room reverb (well, up to a point,
anyway).

I'm not sure what you have, either. Can you adjust those bracket for 30 cm? You
might try that, see what you get.

Personal preference: I rank NOS as less real than ORTF or AB, but slightly better
than XY or MS.

YMMV.

Frank
Mobile Audio