Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Do we need mixers any more?

On 7/12/2014 9:28 PM, hank alrich wrote:
Yeah, but depending on the size of a session you might be still looking
at that screen handling all that routing while the guy with the console
has already begun tracking.

Much of this discussion hangs on how many musicians must be tracked at
once, and the cost of those out on the floor. Put many out there and
that console is very much cheaper than the cost of the players, etc.

That, and that people have vast ideas of how complicated a project needs
to get before it's done. I record five or ten tracks, fix a few things,
mix them with maybe a little EQ and compression, and it's done. I
understand the difference between a photographer and an artist. I'm more
of a photographer.

Like a photographer who decides, before he takes a picture, the type of
film to use, the lighting, framing, and background, I make sure I have
the right tools, pick out mics, put them in the right place, hear a
little music, make a few adjustments, and then SNAP. If the photo isn't
right, the photographer perhaps tries another day, or another time of
day for different lighting, or decides that this picture isn't worth
taking. For me, if the music isn't happening, I try it another day, or
with another band and don't try to keep all the things that aren't right
in hopes that I can make something good from it later. .

The artist gets an idea, starts with an empty canvas, and keeps adding
and removing details until he's satisfied. I don't have the patience for
that.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com