Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Do we need mixers any more?

(since two channels with different signal
processing configurations will have different delay times).

I'm surprised at that. Whatever processing has to be done,
however many effects may be on a channel, if I were writing
the software I'd take an input buffer, and do whatever math
I needed to on it, and then send it out, all at the same time?

Similarly, people are talking about control latency, but aren't
we just talking about the buffer size here? I've been running
solid with a 4ms buffer (96k x 256 samples) and that's with
a USB interface. Isn't that the length of time you'd have to
wait to hear your changes to a fader. Pretty good response I'd
say. I should note that I'm talking about 10 tracks usually.

Thanks,

Tobiah

---