Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Do we need mixers any more?

In a studio the biggest reason to have a mixer or a console is for
routing. A commercial recording facility traditionally was designed
to accommodate any eventuality of recording situation. In order to
do that, you have to be able to send any signal anywhere without much
fuss.

Sure, but any interface I've had lately comes with a mixer that lets
you push any combination of inputs, + computer outputs into any
combination of hardware outputs. The DAW software adds even more
to this routing matrix. It's like having a mixer with as many buses
as it has inputs. I don't see a mixer adding anything over an audio
interface with the same number of input channels as the mixer. Now in
order to get as many input channels as a large mixer, you would probably
have to chain
more than one interface, but this can be done, and at a lower cost I'm
sure than a huge mixing desk.

Tobiah

---