Posted to rec.audio.high-end
ST[_2_] ST[_2_] is offline

Default Amplitude, Power, Gain, Loudness, Volume

On Thursday, 6 February 2014 01:40:01 UTC+8, news wrote:
So what gives here? I have heard that just the right volume "fills" the r=

oom=20
=20
just right. Obviously there must be some level that compares to the live=

=20
=20
levels of the instruments. You can have too low, and it sounds punky,=20
=20
elevator music, not real yet. It can be too high, where no instruments on=

=20
=20
the recording can be heard that loud in real life. Is it possible that=20
=20
having been there, it "clicked" in because of my memory of the live sound=

?

Same here. The right volume is individual's preference. For an example, 3 o=
f you who were at the concert would prefer different volume setting when au=
ditioning the same recording. Why?

Acoustically, what have we got here? Your speakers put out some direct so=

und=20
=20
and some reflected and reverberant. But those ratios are the same at any=

=20
=20
volume, right? ....

I do occasionally listen music using the iPhone or a small transistor in a =
small fully tiled bathroom. There is a right volume THAT fills the room wit=
h enjoyable but far from real loudness level. There is still room to play a=
little louder (closer to live music) without compromising the quality but =
that doesn't sound best to my ears.

=20
=20
But the=20
=20
question is more about a full symphony orchestra stuffed into your listen=

ing=20
=20
room. If you were there live, the sound would attain a certain level=20
=20
throughout the hall, except for the direct sound,...
=20

It is something puzzles me for years when someone could visualize the origi=
nal venue just by listening to the playback. Somehow, my brain confine the =
sound within the four walls of my room. Friends describe the dog's barking =
in Amused to Death coming from my neighbor's house but for me I don't get t=
he sense of sound coming beyond the walls of my room.

Could it be we are just imaging certain things to recreate the reality in o=
ur head?

IMHO, the right volume and the recreation of the recording venue with playb=
ack do not correlate. But then, we listen differently by emphasizing differ=
ent aspect of the music.