Posted to rec.audio.car
Tom[_4_] Tom[_4_] is offline

Default Max. size of USB flash-drive for car decks?

Shug wrote in
ups.com:

I'm new to this group, and found your research very interesting.

I'm currently looking for a head unit that has both inbuilt DAB and a
USB port, and I didn't even think that USB Drive size would be an
issue.

I've got an old 40G 2.5" drive in a USB enclosure that I was thinking
of putting in the glove compartment, then taking the lead out the back
of the GC and then round into the back of the head unit.

Note, I'm NOT talking about what I'd call a USB thumb drive - this is
an old laptop drive.

From your research, do you foresee any problems with this setup?

As long as the folder and file structure obeys your Mfr's spec, it should
work. I'd definitely check the heat rating of any hard-drive. I've seen
some that can only handle 95 degrees F when powered on. You may feel cool
with A/C, but if that drive is tucked away or has roasted all day, watch
out.

I picked flash memory because of its toughness and claimed 10-20 year data
retention (Fowler-Nordheim!) Hard drives made specifically for cars should
be OK in theory (e.g. PhatNoise cartridges). I personally don't like the
idea of any moving parts in a tough environment. 16gb flash has been more
than enough to hold decades worth of favorite songs at an (averaged)
bitrate of about 160kbps.

Tom