Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville
Default Which wav type to use?

"alice" wrote:

So if I'm sending files off to be put onto a CD compilation, should I
leave it 32 bit, or make it 24 bit?

24bit integer (Type I) is normally used for file intechange between
studios, mastering rooms, etc,
Audition (and CoolEdit Pro) defaults to writing files in the same
format that it uses for it's internal computation: 32bit floating
point.
Some programs don't recognize these 32bit files, but the number
is dwindling.

If you want to "Save as" any other format such as the common
24bit you have to tell AA/CEP in save as/options and it will convert
upon saving (and dither if specified).

If the compilation is being put together from separate sources and
not being mastered as a project (very unusual) they may want 44/16
files but I'd verify this with the producer. You may not want your
song on a compilation that's not being mastered as a whole.

rd