Posted to rec.audio.pro
Andre Majorel Andre Majorel is offline

Default Modification for Mackie Onyx 1640

On 2007-03-08, Mike Rivers wrote:
On Mar 8, 4:32 pm, Andre Majorel wrote:

What is "pulling the 2-buss to tape" ? Recording the stereo bus ?

Yes, in Dorsey's native language.

I don't understand how that is an alternative to recording just
one strip.

When you do that, you're listening to all the tracks together, mixing
on the fly, and you aren't planning to add any more tracks to the mix.
So you know whether you need EQ or not

Got it, thanks.

The nice thing about recording with a DAW is that you can apply EQ to
the recorded tracks as you're working, just to help your monitor mix
along. If you like what you have when you're finished, then you're
done. But if you decide that you want to tweak the EQ some more, you
can do that without having to compensate for some "permanent" EQ that
isn't right for the track.

And I take it you can on a normal console as well. Either by
enabling the mode where the inputs are routed to the multitrack
outputs post preamp but pre-EQ. Or by recording the channel
inserts, provided they are pre-EQ.

I think two inserts per strip, one pre-EQ and one post-EQ would
cost less than one with a pre-EQ/post-EQ switch. Good, durable
jacks are cheaper than good, durable switches. Would use more
panel surface, though.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
(Counterfeit: )