Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Modification for Mackie Onyx 1640

On Mar 7, 8:10 pm, "Malto" wrote:
I'm familiar with and proficient at circuit board repair / assembly
techniques. I have heard about a modification that can be done to the
mackie onyx boards to make the direct outs incorporate the EQ.

I suspect this mod is quite easy and relatively non-destructive. Can
anyone tell me how to do this myself?

I doubt it. This is the kind of thing that people who want to do it do
it by getting the schematic (Mackie will send you a PDF if you ask
nicely), opening it up, doping it out, and making the changes. But as
far as I know (and I know a lot about things Mackie) is has not been
documented for self-destruction, probably because it's too difficult
for those who do the work to create the documentation in a guaranteed
idiot-proof form.

Someone did a good job of documenting that modification on thw 1620
and posted it on the Mackie forum, but while the circuitry is similar,
each model is different. Given the amount of work involved, if I found
someone who was willing to do it for $300 and did good work I'd pay to
have it done. It's probably only less than an all day job for those
who have done it a few times.