Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Recording level low - Nomrd Jukdbox Zen Extra to Audigy 2ZS Platium Pro

# Fred # wrote:

headphone jack from the Jukebox to the Audigy Line-in 3 RCA inputs on the
Audigy 2ZS external box. I have both the volume on the Jukebox and the
recording level on the
Audigy at maximum but the recording level monitor barely moved (one or two
bars). S/N ratio couldn't be too great so what gives? Not enough gain on the
Audigy and is this normal?

You're asking if something that's obviously wrong is normal?

A better question is "What's wrong?" There should be enough level from
the headphone output to drive a reasonable analog input to an
acceptable recording level. You may not have the record level adusted
properly for your Audigy card. I'm assuming you're using Windows. Open
the Windows mixer, select Properties, Recording, and then select the
Audigy. Make sure that the line level input slider is up.

I suppose that it's possible that you're using an incorrect cable to
get between the headphone jack and the RCA jacks. You might have a
cable that's designed to go from RCA outputs to a mic level input, and
the signal is attenuated going through the cable. It works both ways.

Finally, I don't know what "one or two bars" represents. I guess that's
a sort of meter. Is that two out of three, or two out of ten, or what?