Laurence Payne

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:47:57 -0400, Jim G
wrote:

Ideally I would like to use a stereo mini plug adapter at the soundcard
which includes an input for computer speakers as well as branching off
into left and right RCA plugs for the stereo (see picture here, listed
as "Option 2": http://www.pcstereolink.com/stereocomputer.html).

Can any of you tell me whether this sort of adapter involves any signal
degradation compared to a normal Y-adapter? Also, I'm thinking it might
be more flexible to use an adapter that terminates in female RCAs and
then use an extended Male-to-Male RCA cable to go the rest of the way.
Since this uses an additional coupling, does it entail signal loss or
weakening?

Electrically, this IS a "normal Y-adaptor".
We're not talking hi-fi here. As long as you keep the connectors
clean I doubt quality will be an issue.

Two thoughts:

If she's connecting computer sound to a stereo system, does she really
need an additional pair of crappy computer speakers? Why?

The 3.5mm stereo minijack is possibly the least robust audio
connection in general use. (Well OK - maybe the old DIN speaker plug
was even crappier :-) When the socket on your soundcard collapses
internally, a repair will probably not be practical. I would avoid
attaching anything heavier than the standard plug.