Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man Chris K-Man is offline

Default Why do singers often have problems with their earpieces?

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 6:37:08 AM UTC-4, polymod wrote:
"Don Pearce" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 22:23:00 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I frequently see performances where the performer is obviously having an
issue with their earpieces, as Kelly Clarkson does here, eventually pulling
them out completely. I assume these are high-quality earpieces and the
levels are adjusted in rehearsal by people who know what they're doing, why
are they so frequently still a problem for the performer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mAY60mR7Zc

A lot of singers can suddenly feel themselves a bit disconnected and
they need to "hear the room". Pulling out one earpiece restores things
instantly.

Agree 100%. As a (so called) vocalist I find myself doing the one ear
monitor thing quite often for that very reason.

Poly

_____

Wouldn't have that problem with good ol fashioned stage wedges.
Aslo, one can incur hearing damage a lot quicker with an in ear monitor
millimeters from their ear drum, than with a wedge two-three meters
away, on the floor.