Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Anything to say on Speakons

geoff wrote:
On 22/07/2020 1:43 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
geoffÂ* wrote:
Why should that be any more difficult for daisy-chaining than XLR
female/male or jack ins/outs on a speaker, which are usually 'panel'
anyway ?

You can't daisy-chain XLRs, 1/4 phone, Socapex, or Canon P connectors
either,
all of which are popular for speakers.

But you can daisy-chain banana plugs and spade terminals.
--scott

I though the qualification 'panel' implied parallel connectors mounted
on a panel (or chassis, or whatever), in which case a doddle for any
connector.

It did.

For some reason, every MI grade PA or bass guitar box ever made had two
1/4" jacks to enable daisy-chaining. I can think of no examples with
Speakon, probably because of panel real estate.

A time-honored way to set up especially a bass rig is to use a pair of 8
ohm boxes in parallel driven by a 4 ohm amp.

Not an issue with controlled configurations where you want things to
hook up only one way and can spend some engineering making it that way.

Just don't hang too much cable-weight on those piggy-backed bananas !

I've never used those in anger.

geoff

--
Les Cargill