Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil[_9_] Neil[_9_] is offline

Default E/V RE10 vs RE15

On 6/6/2020 12:09 PM, Roy W. Rising wrote:
On Mon May 25 13:10:45 2020 Neil wrote:
On 5/24/2020 8:22 PM, Tatonik wrote:

I read that the Electro-Voice RE10 and RE15 are the same design except
that the former doesn't meet the specification of latter. Is it worth
it to pay extra for the RE15? They seem to be selling for more on the
used market.

Do these have foam inside them like the RE20, and if so, is it a major
pain to replace if it has deteriorated?

The main differences between these, as in the RE11/RE16, was how tightly
they match the specification, which is important in stereo applications.

Mike's information is more useful w/r/t differences in the grille design
but I also don't recall either mic having foam inside them like the
RE20. I'll take a look at mine, if the question isn't answered before I
get around to it.

--
best regards,

Neil

Lou Burroughs told me it comes down to Quality Control. Successor to the famous 666, the RE15 capsule passes the most stringent QC. The RE10s have the same capsules with lesser tollerances. The '15 screen is 'squared off', the '10's screen is rounded. The RE16 uses the '15 element and ,a large blast screen/foam. The RE11 is the eqivalent for the '10. Many folks consider the RE15 to be their "Desert Island" choice. I used to mic entire TV Orchestras with RE15s. And ... The RE15 has foam only inside the screen, and a silk layer to keep deteriorating foam from contaminating the diaphragm.

"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"

~ Roy

Thanks for the added info, Roy.

FWIW, all manufacturing has a quality control aspect. Some parts will
meet spec, others fall outside it, but not so much as to make them
useless. So, in a single-mic application it would be pretty difficult if
not impossible to tell the difference between the 10 vs. 15 or 11 vs.
16, which is not a "bad thing" at all!

--
best regards,

Neil