Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] aph@littlepinkcloud.invalid is offline

Default Ways to make speakers go anywhere.

Peter Wieck wrote:
On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 10:49:44 AM UTC-4, wrote:

a) It relies on symmetry.

So does stereo.

I think this is where we part ways. "Stereo" does not depend on
symmetry at all. Were it to, a mono signal would suffice,

Of course it would not.

and even be necessary. Stereo is about creating a sound stage that
is wider than a single point using information developed from
multiple sources when the recording is made.

Sure, but to do that requires two speakers, as similar as possible, in
a symmetrical arrangement.

The exercise in speaker placement from AR that I summarized is
focused on making that sound stage in any given room using some very
basic processes. It is NOT focused on balancing sound around a
single point - such as a television - where symmetry is a necessary
requirement. Needs drive results, not results drive needs.

As to physics - system capacities have a very real effect on results
as well.

Of course. Getting the basic physics right is necessary but not
sufficient. First, fix the room and the speaker placement. Most of the
points that Floyd Toole makes about rooms and speakers are true
regardless of the presence of a television.

Good sound is a matter of moving sufficient air, sufficiently
accurately to fool the listener into believing it is (at least) the
first cousin of original sound. That is the physics part. But if the
system does not have the power, for lack of a better word, to move
that air, the entire exercise is futile physics notwithstanding.

Obviously so, yes, and this is not in contention. So why mention it?
What is the point?

Andrew.